Saturday, June 14, 2008

Where must the line be drawn?

What is that step too far as far as chat room courtesy goes in our great fandom channel? There is quiet discussion about the idea, mostly at my instigation, about that in #daria this week. I did forward a motion to outline a set of behaviour guidelines this week, but I have yet to hear if it was quashed or carried. Said motion was seconded & thirded, the seconding surprised me since it was in part the seconder's behaviour that helped convince me that the guidelines needed to be outlined in the first place, although it wasn't his behaviour this day that irked me.

My main drama is that people push way beyond what is acceptable outside of certain government institutions where occupancy is mandatory, and I've felt the need to withdraw to avoid certain obnoxiously behaviong persons.

The issue that brought this to a head was rather icksome to be sure, and I am certain that it is not appropriate behaviour outside of an s&m chat or a tourettes support group. I'll end* this post with the suggestion that in discussion chatters from #daria discuss what they think is inappropriate behaviour in the channel, and where that line can be drawn.


*ETA: That while sexually harassing chatters with violent descriptions of what you are going to do to them is apparently a grey area, it is black & white that publishing said interaction is a black one, so removed because I don't want to give jerks like that the satisfaction of having my arse banned for highlighting their douchery. If you missed it & want to know, ask me privately.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess nobody knows where the line must be drawn.

cyde said...

Shit, if I haven't crossed some lines in my days, then I hate to think what people are saying.

floopyboo said...

Cyde, Rusty Knight said he would violate my corpse.

Apparently that IS okay, but me posting chatlogs of it is NOT okay.

There's the line for ya. Don't post proof, or face bannination.